Alaska Part 4


Our first stop was Skagway.  We got off of the ship and boarded a bus that drove us 3000 feet up a mountain for a train ride down.  Let us pause and appreciate our precious lives right now......................................................................................................

Patrick who was our bus driver was CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He was this young child from Utah who had only been driving a bus for 2 weeks.  He couldn't hold his clipboard and look at our passports at the same time for that was WAY TOO much multitasking.  (take a moment of silence for that one.  If a person can not hold a clip board and look at a passport I STRONGLY do not believe they should drive 40 people up a mountain 3000 feet in the snow.  Fo reals.

I thought to myself,
" There is no way in hell this is our bus driver.  This is just the special kid who gets to put a check next to everyone's name on his clipboard." 

Yet when he hopped on board and hooked the mic to his head I knew that the day would be interesting or deadly.  I make no joke about the death bit.  Patrick was slow; so slow that he said stuff like,

"I've only been here and driving a bus for 2 weeks.  I think we'll make it there ok."

Maybe I am not adequately giving this experience the justice that it deserves.  Let me phrase it the way another passenger phrased it (this would be after said passenger told everyone he thought Skagway was named after all of the women in town who were skags.  Outloud.  Yes, he said it outloud.  I know.  No really, people like that are real and not just in books.)  

He said, 
"I am not in the mood to put my life in the hands of this boy."

Well said bigot.  

Well said.


The train ride was stunning.  




Comments

Popular Posts