Big Mac Currency

Last night we went out to dinner for the Captains' birthday.  We were with the Haymores and the Clancy-Earls at our usual spot - El Pepin.  Of course, since we are in the presence of Brilliance (Ehren Haymore), the topic turns to the economy.  

Since he is the master of analogies I should not have been shocked to have it dumbed down in terms of Big Macs.  It was quite lovely.  I am always able to absorb the knowledge he (master knowledge giver) is willing to giveth when he puts it in simple terms.

I don't know if you have heard or not, but the economy is having some troubles.  The conversation went as follows: (KG=knowledge giver)

Me " so, what products or things do well when times are tough?"
KG "tobacco"
Captain"tobacco is always good to trade in jail"
(everyone stares at the Captain with curiousity)
KG "Think of it this way.  There are McDonalds all over the world.  In the United States it takes
2BigMacs =1 pack of cigarettes
In most other parts of the world
1BigMac=2 packs of cigarettes"

Honestly, I don't remember where the conversation went from here.  All I could think at this point was
(Interesting,  how many BigMacs does it take to buy Anthropologie in China.  AND How many BigMacs will someone give me for my Old Land Cruiser in say Mexico)

There were MANY analogies that were fabulous last night.  Thank you Knowledge Giver.  I did learn "Listen to the Quiet Ones" among many other things.  Can't wait to see what the next year brings.  Thank goodness we know you and can pick your large brain; it really puts us (the Captain and me) at ease.  

Thank you thank you thank you

Comments

Babbitt said…
i read this and i feal like a dumb ass i dont understand? maybe blogging isnt for me?

Popular Posts