Yesterday one of our friends passed away. We met Justin 14 years ago. He was one of my first gay friends. He and I had great fun together. He exposed me to a community that I loved. On the surface Justin was always upbeat and happy. Unfortunately he struggled with a serious drug addiction. ( I always thought it was smelly stuff sitting in bowls around his house. When he found out that I thought it was to make his house smell good he couldn't stop laughing.) Justin is the one that gave us the tin that sits on our kitchen cabinets. I really enjoyed him and felt a deep sadness for his pain.
Justin died of a drug overdose yesterday and we will miss him. I know you always hear about the dangers of drugs. It is not make believe little ones, it is real.